Fair play for prepay campaign
Citizens Advice is the statutory consumer watchdog for energy customers. We are running a national campaign, to get a fairer deal for energy customers with a prepayment meter.
What’s the issue?
- Prepayment meter users too often receive poor service, lack of innovation and lack of choice, but generally pay more for their energy than direct debit customers.
- Lack of competition and fewer tariffs to switch to.
- Prepayment users often face problems managing their energy use, which do not affect credit customers, eg lost or faulty keys or metering equipment and risk of self-disconnection (16 per cent of users).
- Lack of convenient places to top up and limited innovation in top up methods – most pay with cash at shops or post offices.
- Vulnerable prepayment users sometimes miss out on financial support. The Warm Homes Discount (WHD) is sent out by suppliers by cheque.
What do we want?
- better customer service and support with easier top-ups;
- a fair choice of tariffs in line with other payment methods;
- a smarter prepay offer that works for consumers.
To support this campaign please sign the petition at the following link
There is also a prepay top-ups survey available to complete